Thursday, March 26, 2009

Paradise Village-by Poetic.Justice.

PARADISE VILLAGE




The air was hot and full of dust. It seemed as if the whole village was on a mission to see the girl who had come from

the magical America. I stared blankly at the shiny black face that belonged to my aunt. “Well, well, well look who

get she’self into trouble to come and grace she face to us.” I looked past her and saw the friendly face of my slightly

younger cousin Derek. “You me cousin from New York”? “Yeah, you got a problem”? The smile slowly left his face the

moment I responded. “Naw me ain’t got no problem Natasha, me just askin’, anyway I welcome you to the village.”

Derek is my Auntie's child ; and no, not the one that took me in but another one that left him to big Aunty. He was

very short in stature but had red skin that made him look almost Indian. My aunt was called Big Aunty, and Big

Aunty was just that; big in size and in age. She is my mother’s oldest sister. Then there’s Uncle Ben, big Aunty’s

husband he is very nice at least he is to me. He picks up my bags for me and we head into the house. This house such

as it was called was a bright green almost like the color of a fresh lime just picked off the tree in the season of

summer. Big Aunty showed me to my room and I was left all alone . The situation finally dawned on me and I

realized that I was all alone. No Mommy or Daddy or Jonna or Yonna . I hated my mother for sending me to this

horribly hot country called Guyana. It was truly not my fault that I was picked on. Was it my fault that I was born

darker skinned then most of my school mates? Did it even matter that I was this color? No of course not what matter

was that the kids in my class would have some entertainment, other then the frightened teachers. My mother told

me time and time again to have self control, to not let the words get to me. But self control can only go so far before

you explode. So as the teasing kept coming, I kept fighting and now I have to face the consequences of my actions: a

year in the hottest country ever. Suddenly a knock came at the door dragging me away from my thoughts and

placed my eyes at the door. It was Big Aunty. “Well me get some visitors at the door and they wan see hot big you get

so come and say hello to these people alright”? What choice did I have I was gonna have to act nice if I wanted to get

out of this hell hole. “Alright just give me a minute”. She left the room and I finished what I was doing and went

downstairs. There was a man and a woman at the door. The man was very tall and broad with a scar across his face,

while the woman was a bit shorter and heavy set. They claimed to be cousins, and talked about how big I had grown.

Though I’m sure I have never seen these people in my lifetime. “Eh, eh now is this Jeneva pickney , grow so big, she

look so good, how old is she now”?

They asked my aunt as if I wasn’t even there to answer for myself. “Im sixteen years old” I replied with a little

attitude. “Oh she a feisty one is she now”? Asked the heavy set woman while looking me up and down. “Yes that is

why she in this situation right now. She cause pure war at school with some kids, and now she mommy fed up with

her. Jeneva send she away to learn her one good lesson. You know what I say when pickney don’t wan’ learn they

skin gon’ get burned, and so say so done she end up feeling it right here in Guyana.”

I gave Big Aunty the meanest stare I could conjure up and all she did was smile. “Gwan go outside with you cousin im

sure he wan’ know about you life in New York.” I walked down the steps with such rage that I didn’t even notice the

black face in the bush in the next yard. “Hey you gal!” a deep voice comes from a bush and I jumped back a little

seeing a face staring right at me. “Who, me?” I replied, suddenly my cousin jumps up from the hammock and tells

the face to leave me alone. “I don’t wan hurt her I jus’ wan know where she come from.” My cousin looked at the face

which formed into a man and said “well you don’t need to know she business, what you need to know that far”? My

cousin took my hand and told me to follow him. “Why were you so mean to that man in the bush?” I asked. “That

man is a rapist, and a thief. He raped his own mother, and he was just trying to rape you too!”. I was shocked but I

couldn’t let my younger cousin pull one over on me so I said. “Yeah right he couldn’t even touch me, I’d knock the

shit out of him.” sounding all tough when really I was just scared. “Believe what you want but what I am telling you

is the truth.” He walked back to the hammock and lied down. “You wanna lie down too?” he asked. He moved down

and made room for me to sit. “How old are you?” I asked. He replied with fifteen. Suddenly he got up and walked in

the direction of the bridge. Feeling kinda scared I screamed “Wait !, where are you going, I wanna come too !” He

looked back and said “Fine come along with me!”. So many questions were going through my head but I kept them to

myself because the silence was kinda nice. We walked slowly down the road. Many people were outside of there

makeshift homes, some were cleaning up while others were lounging around. We turned into a house with about

fifteen little kids running in and out. An old woman with a hunched back came out of the house. “Ayo stop dis

running about before I lash ayo in y’all tale.” She looks up and notices the two of us. “Hello who’s there, anyone there,

anyone call my name”? “Its me miz Ansel , Derek. I come for see if Kemmil is at home.” She smiles and says “Oh hi

Derek how you do, you de good how Big Aunty?” I wanted to ask who is this lady but I didn’t want to interrupt their

conversation. “I’m fine, Big Aunty fine too.” A big smile was on Derek’s face which made me notice the cutest

dimples on his red face. As they went on with there small chit chat, I took a look around the village. The coconut trees

were swaying in the wind and hypnotized me for a minute. I visualized the sweetest mango, which I have yet to get

dripping down my chin as I eat the delicious fruit inside. My cousins voice brings me back, he was calling my name.

“Natasha, Natasha ?” I looked at him. “This is Miz Ansel, Miz Ansel this is my cousin from New York named

Natasha”. I smiled and she smiled back. “Nice to meet you child, how you do, you good?” “I’m fine”I answered, she

turned back to Derek. “Kimmel is inside hold on let me get him”. She went into the little house and left me here with

Derek. “Who’s Kimmel”? I asked. “My best friend, I know him from school”. Suddenly a brown skinned boy with

very long limbs come out. As he gets closer I can see that he is very attractive.

“Hey, what’s up man” said Kimmel. As he came more close I saw that his eyes were blue.

“Nothing much just showing my cousin the village.” said Derek. All eyes were on me and I flushed with

embarrassment. “What’s your name?” He asked. I said “Natasha.” Derek looks at me weird and I stare back. “ I know

you already know my name, so I'm not going to tell you it.” The hairs on the back of my neck were raised and I could

not see, which was partly the sun’s fault. “Hey man stop looking at my cousin like that, before I pop you in your

head.” My cousin was starting to be a real pain if you know what I mean. And he was trying to sound like an

American thug.

“Don’t worry Derek I can take care of myself. I don’t need your help.” Kimmel laughed and that made me smile

because his laugh was so cute. “Well I'm just trying to help you out, but watch you gonna be asking me for help when

he breaks your heart.” “Listen I'm gonna see you later Kimmel because Derek is tripping.” I turned to walk away but

Derek grabs my hand and says “Don’t go wait for me, I bet you can’t even find your way home.” He was right but I

was still pissed of so I ignored him. “Are you coming to the club tomorrow?” Derek asked Kimmel. “Yeah I'm coming as

long as your cousin coming too.” I looked at Derek to see if he was gonna answer for me but he just turned to look at

me. “Do you want to go?” I looked at Kimmel and then at Derek. “Yeah I would love to go, you know when I was in

New York I was a real party gal.” Which was a total lie since I wasn’t really allowed out of the house. “Cool then I will

see ya’ll later.” Kimmel did one final smile and walked away. Derek and I started up the road to the little green house

that I will now call my home for a year. But at least things were looking up, I met a cutie and as annoying as he is,

my cousin is mad cool. “You know your annoying right?” I told my cousin, he just smiled.......



I wrote this story a LOONNG time ago.
forgive the mistakes too lazy to fix them.
:)
copy-written.
lol.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i thought this story was hot.... i want the rest!